Sunday 20 April 2014

Me and You {April}


If I had to pick, I would say this picture is my favourite one of me and Michael - it was the first ever picture taken of us back in 2010 and we were out for my 24th birthday. It was the night that would quite literally change my life.

I met Michael four years ago this month, at work. At the time I was in a relationship with someone else and we were living together. I was so drawn to Michael though. I had this overwhelming feeling that I had to get to know him. I can't explain it and I don't know why. I'm quite a shy person and rarely strike up conversation with people I don't know so there was nobody more shocked than I was when I suddenly felt like I had to talk to him and to get to know him. He started in the same department as I was working and at first we would talk about work and swap stories about customers. Very quickly I felt totally at ease with him and it wasn't long before we were confiding in things we hadn't spoken to other people about and before I knew it, we were 'best buds'

As the weeks went by we were getting on so incredibly well and I felt like I’d known him forever, I was instantly at ease with him and could talk or listen to him talk for hours on end. It wasn’t long before he was all I was thinking about. Our paths had actually crossed for many years as his first job was at a place where a lot of my school friends worked meaning we’ve lots of mutual friends and he used to live with a girl who was in my form in school… Little things like this kept cropping up and I really started to believe that fate had brought us together…

There was just one problem. I was in a relationship and living with someone else at the time. The relationship was on its last legs and had run it’s natural course - me and my ex were living separate lives. It took meeting Michael to realise how unhappy I’d become with my ex and how much I was missing out on. I was 23 and had the weight of the world on my shoulders, I was the breadwinner and did all the housework, cooked all the meals… It was just too much for someone so young.

For my 24th birthday a big group of us from work all went to town as there was a few other birthday’s as well as mine. It’s still to this day my favourite night out ever and it was the night I realised I’d fallen head over heels for Michael. I’m very fortunate that he felt the same. I knew I couldn’t risk losing him and what we had. So I did what I’d tried to do for a long time and ended my relationship. I had no idea if me and Michael would work out and if he was even ready for a serious relationship, but I knew I’d spent the rest of my days wondering ‘what if’ if I didn’t at least give it a go…

I’m happy to say, I never looked back. After 9 months Michael proposed on his 26th birthday and I felt on top of the world.

I feel so lucky to have met my soul mate. I never really believe in love at first sight or soul mates before, but as soon as I met Michael there was just something about him and I was drawn to him like I’ve never been with anyone before.

He’s the kindest, most selfless, caring person I know. He isn’t the most romantic and he sometimes doesn’t listen to me, meaning I have to repeat myself over and over again, but I wouldn’t change him for the world. He’s an amazing fiancĂ© and the best Daddy I could wish for to Alfie and I feel so lucky to have him in my life.

We’ve been through a lot in the four years we’ve been together and he’s been an absolute rock to me through really difficult times with my ex over the house we own, but everything life throws at us just makes us stronger. I really don’t think there is anything we couldn’t deal with. We are a team, we each have our roles. I feel very, very lucky that he’s such a hands on Daddy. Alfie absolutely idolises him – as do I.

In August we will get married and I can’t wait to be his wife. I’m so lucky to be marrying my very best friend.













No comments:

Post a Comment